What question does everyone who decides to do home repairs ask themselves? One of the first and most important is the style of the future interior because it will determine what color the walls will have, what material the floor will be made of, and what pieces of furniture and decor will be presented.
There are a lot of different ways to organize the interior of the room. To help to choose the right style of interior design, below is the list of the most common interior design styles with an indication of their main characteristics.
The style arose at the dawn of the XX century. There are a lot of unusual forms of familiar objects, contrasting combinations, an abundance of modern art.
The main features of the style:
- Avant-garde is perfect for spacious rooms, preferably with a non-standard layout. Instead of walls and doors for zoning, the arches, steps, and podiums are used;
- As for the color scheme, black, white, and red colors are welcome, but the main thing is a combination of contrasting shades. Avant-garde allows the use of orange furniture and green walls safely;
- Finishing materials should be the newest – this is a basic requirement. For walls, you can choose metal wallpaper or interesting decorative plaster, for the ceiling, false ceilings and laminated panels are suitable, the floor can have the 3D effect;
- The main requirement for furniture is an unusual shape. Classic headsets, familiar forms, and materials do not belong in the avant-garde style. Furniture should not contain too many decorative elements;
- Accessories should be of the minimum number. The small items of jewelry are not suitable. Be sure to find a place for objects of modern art;
- If possible, windows should be large, the non-standard shape allowed. If there will be curtains – choose plain and bright or use roller blinds. Artificial lighting can be of different intensities, and the more unusual the shape of the lamp, the better.
This style in the interior is a chic and luxury, natural materials, strict forms, symmetry, the use of gilding, and carving. The style arose in the 19th century but is still popular today.
- Symmetry, the straight or slightly curved shapes. An important requirement is the large area of the room;
- Main colors of the style are blue, white, red, bronze and gold;
- Natural materials are used for decoration. The floors are made of expensive wood, the bathroom is of marble, for wall decoration you can choose silk or brocade, in extreme cases – textured wallpapers that mimic expensive fabrics. The walls are decorated with bas-reliefs, pilasters, frescoes. The ceiling is painted in ivory or white, decorated with stucco;
- Furniture should emphasize the splendor of the interior, be massive. In the vast majority of cases, the wooden furniture (decorated with carvings and gilding) is used. Antique one is a priority;
- Windows are decorated with massive curtains of saturated colors. The combination of thin silk curtains and French curtains looks great. Artificial lighting is provided by a massive chandelier in the center of the ceiling or pretentious lamps;
- Antiques are used as accessories. Metal decoration, carpets, animal skins, mirrors, and gilded frames are a priority.
The style arose between the two world wars and was so enjoyed by representatives of the creative intelligentsia that it is still called the star style. It combines luxury and modern elements, empire and high-tech, uses African and Egyptian motifs.
The main features of the style:
- Art-Deco is suitable for all types of rooms, often used to organize bedrooms and living rooms. The style is distinguished by zigzag and curvilinear shapes;
- In colors, a combination of contrasting shades is welcome, for example, black and white, crimson and gold, beige and chocolate. The metallic can become the main color;
- Most expensive natural materials are used in decoration. The walls can be draped with fabric or decorated with textured wallpaper because, in this style, they can become the center of attention. The floor, as a rule, is wooden, it can be covered in some places with carpets. The ceiling is as simple as possible, light, and can be painted. Focus on shiny surfaces – polished wood, mirror, metal;
- Furniture in the art deco style has emphasized by geometric shapes, is made of wood, leather, or glass. You can use antiques too;
- For lighting choose lamps with frosted glass, preferably with chrome parts;
- Mirrors, metal figurines are used as accessories. African motifs reflected in paintings and animal skins can also be used. 🧐
The artsy, royal, idle, and magnificent – all this is about the Baroque style that arose in Italy at the end of the 16th century. In this style, each item emphasizes the wealth of the owner, but the interior should be as functional as possible.
The main features of the style:
- Baroque is great for country houses or very spacious apartments. The symmetry and use of only the most necessary pieces of furniture, which will be lavishly decorated, is appreciated;
- The main color of the style is gold. All other «expensive» shades are also used – dark green, burgundy red, a combination of brown and green, blue and gold;
- The floor can be finished with marble or natural wood, for the walls used fabric trim. If the walls are plain and painted in pastel colors, then they should be decorated with stucco. Mandatory decoration of the ceiling – stucco molding, ornate patterns, the presence of gilding;
- Furniture is antique, decorated with abundant floral ornaments, inlays of copper, ivory. The presence of a voluminous dining table, a massive chest of drawers is welcome;
- Baroque room lighting should be dim, diffused. Preference is given to chandeliers and lamps in the form of candles;
- There should be a few accessories. You can use mirrors in rich frames, grandfather clocks, in painting and sculpture, prefer semi-naked figures and scenes from rural life.
Country style is rustic charm and home comfort. Various things can be used in it, but the main option is that they should be of natural materials and not look like factory-made.
The style is so widespread that today we can talk about American, French, English and other types of country, but the common features still remain the same:
- Country style is suitable not only for summer houses and cottages – you can stylize in such a way even an apartment in a multi-storey building;
- The color gamut of style – only natural soft colors. It is beige, brown, blue, green, white. Furniture should be darker than finishing materials;
- Use solely natural materials for decoration. The floor is made of wood or stone. The walls should be plastered or painted. The ceiling also can be painted or plastered, and often it is decorated with wood;
- Furniture is made only from natural materials and is characterized by the simplest and sometimes even rude design. In a country-style there is no place for modern materials and decor;
- Accessories play a crucial role and should bring coziness and sincerity. Enameled utensils, knitted napkins, linen curtains, flowers, mirrors in simple frames are used to do this. Also, an abundance of textiles (chintz, linen, cotton) is used there. Prevailing patterns – cell, strip, polka dots.
Classicism is much the same as Empire and Baroque, but it is more aristocratic and, therefore, less artsy. There is a place for decor, but it must be restrained and used to decorate walls and furniture.
The main features of the style:
- The correct geometric shape of the room with zoning carried out by columns and pediments, but not furniture. An important requirement is the large height of the room and the symmetry in the arrangement of furniture with an obligatory center in the form of a table, bed, etc.;
- Beige, cream and pastel shades with brown and green elements;
- Wall decoration is done with textile or vinyl wallpaper, decorative plaster. Parquet is used for the floor, and different types of wood can be combined in it. The ceiling is made as simple as possible, but the use of restrained stucco molding along the contour can be carried out;
- Massive, wide furniture and textiles with floral motifs are preferable;
- For lighting, both a massive chandelier and built-in light sources can be used;
- The main accessory is a large mirror in an elegant frame. Also, for this purpose, the sculptures, floor vases, and paintings will be a good choice too.
High-tech in the interior is a cult of simplicity, modern technology, maximum free space, an almost complete absence of decor items.
The main differences of style:
- Walls can be replaced with glass partitions or metal racks;
- Primary colors – black, white, gray, metallic;
- Walls are painted in one discreet color or imitate masonry, for the floor use parquet or laminate with the maximum monophonic texture, concrete or bulk floors can be used too;
- Preference is given to office furniture with metal elements, sliding wardrobes with glass doors, upholstered furniture should be monochrome, the emphasis is on plastic, metal, and glass objects. The style uses a lot of luminaires built into the ceiling and walls. Lighting sources built into the floor and furniture is also welcome;
- High-tech does not imply the use of accessories – maximum is a mirror on the wall and a plant on the floor.
Minimalism is simplicity, the presence of only the most necessary things, functional accessories, maximum free space, and a strict color scheme. Unlike the high-tech style, minimalism is more adapted to a comfortable life.
The main features of minimalism:
- This is a universal style that is suitable for spaces of any type and size. It is allowed to dismantle the partitions and combine the kitchen and the living room. The strict geometric layout is welcome;
- The dominant color of the style is white, but pastel and gray shades are also often used. One of the walls can be painted in the color of a warm palette. The room should be used no more than five colors, accessories and textiles can be bright;
- The finish should be simple and of high quality. The walls are painted, can be decorated with stone or brickwork, the ceiling is painted, parquet or laminate is used to finish the floor;
- Furniture is distinguished by clear and straight lines. It should have no rounding and decor. Furniture can be made of glass, plastic, steel, less often the wood is used. Transformer furniture is welcome;
- Artificial lighting is created by using built-in light sources, ceiling spots, or luminaires of the simplest possible forms. For windows used translucent tulle and blinds;
- There should be a minimum of accessories, and, if possible, all of them should be functional.
The contemporary in something is to minimalism and hi-tech, but does not impose such severe restrictions and implies greater freedom and constant updating of the interior.
- Only reliable and functional objects are used;
- Basic colors – black, white, gray, pastel shades, and against their background you can use objects of bright colors and unusual shapes;
- You can use both natural and artificial materials, including MDF, plastic, metal, glass;
- All furniture should have clean lines and a modern design. Multifunctional and transforming one is preferred. Interesting ornaments can be used on individual pieces of furniture;
- Flowers, paintings, mirrors, modern vases, fancy figurines are used as decoration, and the more unusual the lamps will be, the better.
The loft style born in the 40s of XX century, when the active process of transforming former factories and warehouses into housing began, hence its main features:
- There must be huge areas, high ceilings and large windows, lots of light, «unfinished» surfaces, visibility of ventilation pipes, lack of walls (only the bathroom is isolated);
- All shades of gray and terracotta prevail in the color scheme;
- Masonry or its imitation is used for the walls. The floor can be concrete or laminate. The ceiling is painted white;
- Great importance is given to furniture for seating. Large sofas, poufs, and armchairs are welcome; Antique furniture and modern elements can coexist in the loft. Furniture can be made of any materials and any shape;
- Maximum light, so curtains are rarely used. To create artificial lighting use the industrial-style lamps;
- Accessories should be non-standard, and among them can be posters, graffiti, reproductions of modern paintings, and even road signs.
The style arose at the end of the 19th century and trying not to repeat any of the already known interior design styles. Art-Nouveau quickly conquered many countries, and today is experiencing a rebirth.
This style combines the sophistication of classics, aristocracy, and endurance.
The main features of the style:
- Art-Nouveau involves the use of flowing lines. This applies to furniture, doorways, windows and to the way how furniture will be arranged – no strict and regular shapes;
- Сolor scheme is calm and as close as possible to natural shades. Beige, blue, olive, brown, mustard, white, silver and golden shades are used;
- Wood is in honor of the Art-Nouveau style, so it is better to make the floors made of wood, in the kitchen it can be replaced with stone. Walls and ceilings are painted or plastered using pastel shades;
- Furniture should be made of wood, but you can use stone countertops, as well as glass elements;
- Art-Nouveau lighting is dim so that you can create a romantic atmosphere. A distinctive feature – lamps of colored or frosted glass, stained-glass windows in the design of windows and doors;
- Decor items also focus on colored glass products, such as vases or lamps. Pictures and patterns are dominated by images of flowers and insects.
Provence is one of the ethnic interior styles that has received perhaps the highest popularity among owners of apartments and cafes in south France. In such an interior, each thing has its own story. It combines luxury and simplicity, romanticism, and lightness.
- Room in the Provence style should be bright, so the larger the window area, the better;
- Light colors prevail in decoration and furniture, but sometimes lavender, ocher, emerald, purple colors – all those shades that are characteristic of the nature of the southern regions of France;
- Walls are painted, finished with decorative plaster, less often decorated with wood or floral wallpapers. Solid flooring or terracotta tiles are ideal for floors, but parquet or ceramic tiles are often used. The ceiling is painted, can be decorated with wood;
- Furniture is made from natural materials. These can be massive and artificially aged pieces of furniture, not devoid of functionality. Decorated with floral patterns or forged furniture can be used;
- Accessories and textiles are important. Preference is given to floral ornaments, lace napkins, old dishes.
This is another example of ethnic home decor styles. The housing requirements of the Scandinavian people are simple – it is reliability and quality factor, and therefore, the modern Scandinavian style is laconicism, contrast, and moderate decor.
- Open floor plan, wide doorways;
- The main color is white. Pastel shades are also used;
- All materials must be natural. These are wood, leather, linen and cotton, ceramics, metal, glass, stone. Walls are painted or plastered in light shades. The floors should also be wooden, preferably white;
- Furniture should be practical and functional. Striped ornaments distinguish upholstered furniture and textiles;
- Windows are large, the frames wooden and match the floors in color;
- Decor items are minimal, but they should be bright. Mirrors and family photographs are welcome.
Eclecticism style is an attempt to combine both retro things and modern pieces of furniture in one interior, in order to get a functional and comfortable one. In fact, this style unites objects of different decorating styles, but there are some rules:
- Objects of different styles of interior design should have a common color or texture;
- Natural colors are used, they can be bright or pastel;
- Parquet is used to finish the floor, less often tiles;
- The walls are finished with wallpapers of rich patterns. Some oriental motifs will look great.
- It is advisable to use an antique piece of furniture, which will become the center of the interior. Upholstered furniture can have colorful fabrics, the backs of chairs and armrests can be carved;
- Use one large chandelier for lighting, modern or retro lamp style;
- Windows are decorated with massive curtains;
- As accessories use flowers, mirrors, and a lot of small objects that help to flow from one style to another.
The current era is frightening to the deterioration of the environment, so everything eco-friendly, healthy, and natural, gaining great popularity. Eco is not just one of the interior design names styles. It is some kind of philosophy.
- A lot of bright open space;
- Colors are of natural shades;
- The main finishing material is wood. Stone or tile is also suitable for the floor, for the walls you can use wooden panels, paper wallpapers, plaster or paint;
- All furniture – natural, made of wood, rattan, natural fabrics. The hand-made things are welcome;
- Natural light should be used to the maximum, so choose the very transparent curtains;
- There should be a minimum of accessories.
Among the listed and many other less popular types of interior design styles, it is easy to choose the one that will best match the characteristics of the room and your tastes.